I am in love with the castor oil pack. Years ago, a very talented acupuncturist and dear friend, told me about castor oil packs. This was early on in my journey, shortly after I enrolled in my first Nutrition and Holistic Health Coaching school. I was really intrigued and immediately wanted to learn more.
If you’ve known me a while or have been following me, you won’t be surprised by what I’m going to say next… I started researching castor oil and the benefits of the castor pack. I did a deep dive into herbal medicine texts and combed through studies and found incredible information to support the use of castor oil and castor oil packs for eliminating toxins. I bet you can guess this — but I’ll say it anyway — I was hooked and have been incorporating castor oil packs in my life, weekly, ever since! I encourage all my detoxers to do this as well as my private clients. I love traditional techniques that stand the test of time. I mean, castor oil is something that my grandma used… and her mother before her! So, let me share about this super easy, super cheap technique that can provide super benefits!
Castor Oil Pack Benefits:
Lymph Mover. The castor oil pack can flush your lymphatic system (which is like a sewage system in your body). The lymphatic system must get flushed daily to reduce digestive issues, water retention, inflammation, common illnesses (like colds and flu), weight gain and allergies. Unlike your circulatory system, which is pumped by your heart, the lymphatic system relies on the movement of your body to stimulate flow. If you are more sedentary or if you are less active because you aren’t feeling well, your lymphatic system may need some extra support. Castor oil as a has been used as a detox tool for centuries.
Circulation Booster. Castor oil packs can support your circulation, pull toxins and help stimulate digestion. When placed over the liver, you can feel the castor oil begin to stimulate the organ. When placed over the abdomen, there is an ease of any bloating and gas as peristalsis gently engages. I wasn’t convinced that something so simple could do so much, but ever since I tried it and felt the benefits for my own body, I have never stopped. I could feel an improvement in my digestion, the swelling in my ankles started reducing, and I had a better sleep.
I’ve had an autoimmune condition for many years and am always on the lookout for natural ways to detox my body. It’s even better when I find things I can do in the comfort of my own home. Daily detox really is key for my health. I look at the castor oil pack as an awesome detox tool that supports my immune system and it protects me from seasonal funk.
Whether you have an autoimmune condition, a chronic illness or are just looking for a simple, easy, effective tool to add to your detox routine, why not give this a try?! I mean, we all have some degree of toxicity just from everyday life – pollution, environmental toxins, chemicals in our personal care products and in our clothing, residual junk from medications or OTC products like NSAID’s, acid blockers, etc – so, why not support your body to get rid of it and see how you feel?
How to Make Your Own Castor Oil Pack:
- Take an old shirt and cut it into 12 x 18 inches in size and fold it into 3 thicknesses.
- You want it to be about the same size as the heating pad you will be using so that the pad heats the entire pack but does not touch your skin.
- Put the shirt in a pan, such as a large disposable baking pan, and pour in enough castor oil to cover. The oil will absorb into the cloth. You can work it in with your fingers to make it go a little faster.
- Once the cloth is saturated, it is ready to use! You can place it on a layer of plastic wrap so it’s easy to apply to the body and less messy. Details on how to apply the pack follow.
- Note: after each use, you will probably need to add a little more castor oil. You can reuse the pack many times. When not in use, store your pack in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.
A Super Simple Version:
You can also put castor oil directly onto your stomach and upper abdomen. Then, wrap your stomach and upper abdomen with plastic wrap and sit for 45 minutes. This simplified version is quick and quite effective.
- Use the pack in the evening before bed. Fold a towel (dedicate an old towel for this use as the oil is almost impossible to wash out completely). Take the cloth cover off a heating pad and place the heating pad on top of the towel. Place the prepared Castor Oil pack on top of the heating pad — the plastic wrap you laid it on after preparing it will be in between the pack and the pad. It is important to heat the pack before you put it on your body.
- Lie down on your back on another towel that you don’t mind getting oily. Place the pack on your abdomen with the heating pad on top and the towel on top of that. The pack should be on the right side of your body, extending from a little bit above the bottom of your sternum (breastbone) to about 4 inches below your navel. The pack should wrap around the body on the right side, from the navel as far to the side as you can get it. Keep the pack on for 45 minutes. Use the pack for 3 days in a row. Take a break for 4 days, and repeat.
- While the pack is in place, relax. Enjoy the warmth around your body. Settle in with a book or put on some music you enjoy and just take a break.
Remember, the castor oil pack is a natural and inexpensive way to rid the organs of toxicity. Know that you are taking good care of yourself when you use the pack. And send me a message if you want to share your experience or if you have questions!
p.s. Before starting anything new, always check with your doctor if you have a condition or are on medication. Also, if you are menstruating, castor oil packs are not recommended because they can increase bleeding. Just wait until your period has ended to enjoy the benefits of a castor oil pack.